Friday, August 19, 2011

A song a day ~

A song a day
Keeps distress at bay
Awaken what may
... to brighten up one's day

A song a day
Lovely music to the ear
When all is played
Soothed the soul of those who hear

A song a day
This I reckon
Will help me stay
... in perfect condition

A song a day...

I am a big fan of narrative works, especially reflective journals. I see song lyrics as a personal narrative where the song writer is actually retelling her story and reflecting over it when she sings it over and over again. To the listener, each has its own interpretation of the song's lyrics.

Songs have been a part of my life since I was young. My mother used to listen to songs every day and I began to appreciate songs in my early teens. I love songs that tell a story. Songs were so much a part of me that it became one of the topic for my toastmasters' speech (back in mid 90's). Lately songs played an even bigger part in my life: I would post songs (on a daily basis) on my fb wall; would dedicate songs to my fb friends; include a song or two in my training sessions and recently I even read a book which the author named it after a song.

It's amazing that there are so many song writers (English, Malay, Japanese and Chinese) who write such good song/lyrics that I could relate to. I can find a song or a part of the lyrics to relate to everything that is happening in my life; whether I am happy, sad or in need of encouragement - there are songs for every mood/occasion.

As I am writing this post, I am listening to a malay song sung by Aizat, "Lagu Kita." I have dedicated this song to my close friends and the lyrics, "arah hidup kita tergambar bintang di angkasa" - our direction in life is destined in our stars: which means that our life's destiny has been fixed the day we were born ~ such lovely lyrics... :)

.

No comments:

Post a Comment