Tuesday, February 1, 2011

We are what we think we are!

New entry (6 Feb 2011):

"Writing stimulates thoughts; the act of putting pen to paper or finger to keyboard engages our brains. To write we have to think" ~ from my earlier post titled, 'Engaging the brain' (24 Jan 2010). Writing (in any form) stimulates the thoughts and in the process helps to strengthen certain part of the brain. This is one of the reasons for this blog, ie. my living journal.

Entry posted on 1 Feb 2011:

When I was young, I thought that we can't be any more cleverer than what our genetic setup has for each of us; our propensity to learn has its limits. Now, neuroscientists are telling us that our brain cells do not stop growing after 6 yo but keep on growing and making new connections every time we experience something new. We can learn new things even at old age as long as we have a healthy bright brain. A quote from The NY Times: "We can indeed form new brain cells, despite a century of being told it’s impossible." Wow, that's good news indeed. We are what we think we are!

Reading about the new discovery spurs me on to change the way I think, to strengthen and to use my brain more efficiently. As each year passes, I am more aware of age-associated diseases such as Alzheimer and Dementia. Now, all books on regaining and retraining brains write about exercising the brain (eg. reading, doing crosswords or playing brain games such as the ones offered by Lumosity @ http://www.lumosity.com/), eating brain healthy food and being physically active.

This is all very interesting, I will continue to strengthen my brain and hope that I will not be suffering from Alzheimer or Dementia one day :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment